February 7, 2013

Snowmobile Cake

Aghhhh.. I'm so behind on my blog!  ..too busy lately!  So two weeks ago was my big bro's Birthday.  He was just having a small family gathering at my mom's and told me to keep his cake 'simple'.  (Yeah Right!)  I remembered him asking me back in November about doing a 'snowmobile' cake.  I sort of laughed it off at the time.. but when the time came I knew that's what I had to do (even though I'm pretty sure he forgot all about it).  

I decided to make a fondant replica of his snowmobile, so I had his girlfriend send me a picture of it.  I stared at the pic for days.. pretty sure I had bitten off more than I could chew ;)  ..Finally I just started playing with the black fondant.. and two days later I had something I was pretty happy with but it needed detail.  I attempted to re-create the decals on the sled using cut up Wilton Sugar Sheets.  (I wanted everything to be edible!)  I envisioned the snowmobile in a wintery scene.. in the woods.  So I made evergreen trees out of sugar cones and piped on green icing.  Then I dusted them with powdered sugar.  I loved how they turned out - they looked real!  I frosted the cake 'rustic' style (to look like snow).  

When I asked my brother what flavor cake he wanted, he responded with two words - 'chocolate and peanut butter', so I went with dark chocolate fudge cake and peanut butter filling.  The cake is frosted in white buttercream.  It was yummy.. my sister even ate one of the trees! :)





 ..reaction to his surprise snowmobile cake :)
  

..don't catch the trees on fire!
 
 
 ..all aglow.. prettiness!

{bro and his real sled}
 

No comments:

Post a Comment